My Photo
Name:
Location: Arizona, United States

My name is Colleen and I find dead people.

[ View Guestbook ] [ Sign Guestbook ]

10 May, 2006

All In All It's Just Another Brick In The Wall (Taken Out)

Well, well, well. Whaddaya know. Asking the right questions of the right people is always important, but tonight I'm thinking never so much as it is in genealogy.

Remember these pictures of my grandmother Mary (HODICK) McHugh and her sisters Sue and Vesta? If not, you might want to click here for a little refresher :). The mystery behind this picture was the storefront. I've been going just a wee bit crazy trying to figure out if my great-grandparents Edward and Justina (NAHODIL; sp?) HODICK owned a store. I haven't been able to find any listings for it anywhere. Well, last night I called my cousin Tom, to whom I had sent copies of the Hodick pictures I have. We were working on identifying some people. We were talking about how "styling" the women were when he'd mentioned the ones of the girls in front of a window with the words "Roi Tan" on it. I practically yelled at him "You mean the one where they're standing in front of a window with the Hodick name on it?". He said, "Yes that was Edward and Justina's bar that they owned for a bit". It's a good thing there was a phone line and about 2,300 miles between us or I'd have slapped him! He identified that business with such casualness while I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure them out! It all goes to show you have to ask the right people the right questions.

Oh, and remember this picture? If not, click here for the story behind it.
The writing on the back of the original picture said "In Detroit". I couldn't find a reference to anything other than a race horse with a search of Sans-Souci + Detroit. A maternal cousin had mentioned there was an amusement park in Luzerne Cty by this name and perhaps it was a picture of the entrance. My cousin Tom also suggested this possibility, and was not able to identify any of the people. I was thinking the woman in the middle was his mother, but I thought wrong! So it's still a mystery, though we do have a speculation.

2 Comments:

Blogger Donna said...

Strange that he says it was a bar...by the signage on the front of the store, it looks like a candy shop. There are two "candy" references. Why would that be if it were a bar?

10:35 AM  
Blogger Colleen said...

I've heard tell that Nanticoke, PA was often like "storefront alley", and that there are businesses behind businesses and homes behind businesses. If this is true, then perhaps the bar was behind the store and thus, identified on the storefront window.

A guess that needs more research!

9:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?
http://www.hit-counter-download.com